Monday, December 5, 2011

I'm Back! Discussion of Diapers I have used for my Newborn.

     Well it has definitely been awhile since my last post.  Above is a picture of my little guy, Matthew on the day we left the hospital.  He is sporting a newborn cloth diaper cover and a pre-fold.  He will be four months old next week, and my little girl will be 2 and a half years old in three days.
     I apologize for the length of time since my last post.  Becoming a parent of two little ones was a bit more of a shock than I anticipated, but we are all finally settling into a nice routine.   My daughter is still in diapers.  I have been trying to potty train her for six months now, and it has been a nightmare, especially with the added challenge of caring for a new baby.  She will pee on the potty when she feels like it, but I cannot get her to poop on the potty, she seems afraid too, so I have no idea how long this potty training thing will continue.  So now I have two kids in diapers.  I will have so much more of a stash available to me for Matthew once I finally get Anne trained, and I will have to do laundry so much less often, but for now we are washing every other day.  I have about 20 diapers that are just infant sized (10-22 lbs) and a ton of diapers that are one sized...so I am keeping the infant size ones for Matthew and the one size ones for Anne, just for ease of keeping track of who is using what, and it helps keep better track of when I have to wash.
     I had a great stash of diapers when Matthew was born, but not a good stash of newborn stuff, so I had to wash more often to exclusively cloth diaper, but that only lasted a short time and now we are golden.  Matthew was 8lbs 12oz at birth and 8lbs 2 oz when we came home from the hospital four days later.  Initially I was worried about cloth diapers and the umbilical cord stump, it turns out I was right to be concerned, as his stump did not fall off until he was 19 days old!  My diaper of choice is always the pocket, those are my favorites and I use a mix of BumGenius, Pouponds and Kawaii diapers, as well as Kushies all in one diapers (which I absolutely love).  I have 10 infant size Kushies and 10 toddler size Kushies.
     For my newborn I had to take a different approach though.  I found with my daughter that even the one size pockets were just too big initially.  They didn't comfortably fit her until she was about 10 lbs.  I never had enough newborn size diapers to fit her when she was small and alternated between cloth and disposables for the first couple of months.  I vowed I would not do this with Matthew.  For him I used a mix of fitted diapers, pre-folds and covers.  I had four Bummis Super Whisper Wrap newborn covers.  Those I absolutely loved.  They are curved across the front to protect the umbilical stump.  I also had three other borrowed, no name newborn covers that also had a curve in the front for the stump.  Inside the covers I used Kissaluvs Size 0 fitted diapers.  I love these.  They fasten by snap and have an extra snap that you can snap down, also to protect the umbilical stump.  I only had six of them but borrowed 18 more from a friend and had a great newborn stash because of this.  This is a great solution to the problem of not having enough diapers for the tiny newborn stage.   If you have friends that also cloth diaper borrow diapers back and forth.  It takes forever for newborn diapers to wear out because you only use them for a couple of months anyway.  I also just tri-folded newborn size pre-folds inside the covers as well.
    My biggest issue with diapering the newborn was not having enough covers.  The additional three covers that I borrowed my son outgrew pretty quickly, and they leaked almost every time so I was only getting one use out of them.  So I mostly just had the four newborn covers and a baby with a stump until he was 19 days old.  I have 6 Size Small Bummis Whisper Wrap Covers too.  These fit him pretty well even when he was tiny, but would go up over his stump.  So I ended up only using these as emergency back ups until his stump fell off.  I just folded the cover down across the front and put the newborn covers in the wash.  Once his stump fell off I was able to use both the newborn covers and the size small covers, so I was in much better shape.  He was also big enough at that time to add my six Fuzzi Bunz size smalls into the mix.  Once he hit about 12 lbs I was able to add my Kawaii and Kushies infant size diapers into the mix as well.  So right now he has outgrown the newborn size covers, but we are still using the Bummis Small Size Covers with the Kissaluvs, as well as the Fuzzibunz and the Kawaii and Kushies diapers.
   In summary I have to say that I love the Bummis Super Whisper Wrap covers...they absolutely never leak, unless you don't have the fitted or pre-fold tucked in all the way under the cover.  If I was to do the newborn thing again (which I am not planning on doing) I would definitely buy at least four more newborn size Bummis Covers.  I had 8 pound babies, but they wore the newborn covers for over two months.  People with smaller babes will be able to use them much longer.  They are really a great inexpensive option for the newborn phase because the one size diapers really don't fit right until the babies are at least 10-12 pounds.  Most of them say that they are for babies 10-35 pounds and I would say that is pretty accurate.  My daughter is 27 lbs now and is still doing fine with the one size diapers.  I am really going to try to get back on track with more diaper reviews and more regular blog posts on other topics that I am passionate about now that I am settling into a good routine with my two babes.  Merry Christmas everyone :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment