Thursday, July 7, 2011

Ready for Number Two!

Changing Table all Prepped with my Newborn Diapers on the Top shelf and Toddler Diapers on the bottom shelf, with a few backups tucked underneath....just in case!
So things have been a bit crazy lately.  I have had every intention of posting more reviews on the diapers that I use every day, but frankly, I am pretty tired, and have spent most of my time trying to get things ready for the arrival of our son.  I am 35 weeks pregnant today, and thought that in celebration, I should write a blog entry, because who knows if I will be able to get another one in before Matthew arrives.

This pregnancy has been an easy one, just like my first, so I can't really complain, I have just been really tired lately and never feel like I get enough sleep.  Between the several trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night, and the waking up and not being able to go back to sleep, I start the day feeling pretty exhausted.  The biggest difference between this pregnancy and my last, is that I never seem to be able to get a long enough nap in during the day.  I am lucky if I get 20 minutes while my two year old is sleeping.  You get much longer naps when you don't have another kid to chase around :o)

I would like to do more blog posts, but have been mostly focused on getting through the days and getting everything ready for baby.  I have also been really trying to enjoy one on one time with my daughter while I can.  We have also been doing lots of play dates to help the days go by faster.  We have also been working a bit on a relaxed version of potty training.  I started out determined to completely train her, but it was too stressful for both of us.  I wanted to have her trained before the baby came, but realized that wasn't as important as I originally thought.  She has the general idea...and goes a few times a day.  I will try another full throttle approach this fall, after the baby comes and has been here for a while.

We have also spent lots of time talking about Baby Matthew and getting all his things ready.  All the baby stuff is out now, all his clothes are washed and in the dresser.  The hospital bags are mostly packed, I just have to add a few more things.  And of course...all of his cloth diapers are prepped and ready to go...as you can see from the picture.  I have plenty of one size diapers and 10-22 lb size diapers...but I didn't really have enough newborn diapers.  With my daughter I didn't start exclusively using cloth until she was about 10-12 lbs.  I just didn't have enough small diapers, and the one size ones didn't fit her teeny waist.  I am determined to only use cloth with Matthew, so I purchased some more pre-folds and a couple of covers, and have borrowed some covers and a ton of Kissaluvs Size 0 from a friend.  So we are in good shape.   One criticism that I have heard from people regarding cloth is that they cost too much.  I spent probably about $400 on diapers for my daughter, mostly because I tried different kinds out, and I didn't really know what to buy at first.  If I had known more I probably would have purchased more one size diapers.  But still, $400 is nothing compared to the $1600-$2000 that most people spend on diapering one child...and what the criticizers fail to mention or realize...is that cloth diapers can be reused for child after child.  I might have spent $400 for diapers for my daughter...but for my son I spent $13 on some used newborn size diapers, borrowed some from a friend...and will not have to spend another penny from birth to potty training on diapers for him.  In fact some people asked me if I wanted to have a baby shower for my son, and I said no, because I really don't need anything.  We bought a couple of things that we needed that were pretty minor, and that was it.  Several people have given us like new boy clothes and all the general stuff that we used for our daughter was gender neutral.  To me it is silly to spend tons of money on baby clothes, when you can get stuff used...babies hardly ever wear their clothes out.  

So I am basically enjoying time with my little girl, trying to get enough rest, and anxiously awaiting the arrival of my little boy.   Life is surely about to change :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment